Live from the Global Services Booth: Top 5 Observations from EMC World
So many demos, discussions and education packed in to the first two days at EMC World, it feels like a week has gone by. Here’s my top 5 list – see if you agree or are surprised by anything:
1. The Third Platform is real. The mashup of cloud, mobile, social and big data is about enabling new experiences and new business models, or as one CIO put it “we need to shift our business relationship from being Rigid Suppliers, to being Open Collaborators.”
2. Infrastructure really is the easy part of IT Transformation. This is a storage technology conference – and yet lots of discussions and dialogs about how to reskill & retrain people – and how to overcome or improve processes around software licensing, compliance, industry regulations etc.
3. Speaking of new skills, Enterprise IT needs to get good at agile application development. Interestingly, half of our CIO attendees say that application development reports in to IT. Equally interesting: Pivotal Labs can help!
4. Workloads are the new black. Key to Cloud is understanding workload requirements, and mapping the right workloads to the right deployment models. Not surprisingly, automated analytics trumps spreadsheet analyses, with lots of customers interested in our high speed approach to determining workload suitability for cloud.
5. Cloud is the new hardware – and Hybrid Cloud has arrived. The buzz of the show was seeing EMC services professionals build a hybrid cloud live in <48 hours, and demonstrate workload mobility between private and public cloud environments.
Bonus point: interesting to see Toby transformed into Tobocop, complete with full body armor this year. (Yeah, you had to be here).
What’s your Top 5 for the week?