Let’s Get Predictive About Service Excellence
Would you ever get excited about the prospect of a customer being unhappy or dissatisfied? Of course you wouldn’t. Well, maybe if you work for Desk.com (part of Salesforce.com) and took part in this hilarious skit.
Desk.com’s motto is to “Turn every interaction into an opportunity.” I like the motto because even customer complaints can turn into positive interactions and opportunities when handled appropriately. The motto reminds me of a few of the efforts that are underway at EMC.
Just take these questions into consideration:
- What if you knew that a customer had a high likelihood of being dissatisfied but hadn’t yet expressed his or her concern? What would you do? You’d want to speak with them, right?
- And, better yet, what if you had the opportunity to proactively reach out to that customer and speak with him or her?
If your organization is anything like EMC, you jump at the chance to interact with customers as much as possible, even when it’s a challenging situation. In this spirit, EMC recently wrapped up the first wave of a Predictive Analytics Initiative to test our ability to proactively identify which customers may be dissatisfied after the closure of a each service event. And it’s been a huge success. Here’s how things have unfolded at a high level:
EMC WAS FACING A CHALLENGE…
There were a few thousand Customer Service activities each month that could’ve resulted in customer dissatisfaction but EMC did not have insight into these events because the customer did not always return a satisfaction survey.
…AND THIS WAS THE SOLUTION…
EMC designed and deployed its Predictive Analytics Initiative to seek out and proactively address unreported customer dissatisfaction through our Service Managers. As you can imagine, this involved proprietary algorithms to make the process automated and scalable.
…DID I MENTION THE RESULTS?
EMC immediately received positive feedback from the participating Service Managers and customers, driving increases in satisfaction scores and positive momentum on the business side.
We felt the impact almost immediately:
- 600% increase in customer follow-up interactions
- 82% of customers reported surprise and appreciation of the unexpected, proactive follow-up on their service event
- 11.6% improvement in satisfaction with EMC Customer Service as measured by the quarterly relationship survey
Similar to the Desk.com skit where employees were jumping at the chance to address customer complaints, EMC’s Predictive Analytics Initiative allowed the organization to turn negative situations into positive ones. The difference between the two efforts is that EMC Service Managers were able to address concerns proactively. And we’re not done yet…
* The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EMC nor does it constitute any official communication of EMC.